Thursday, August 7, 2008

Free Jar of Peanut Butter

I got a free jar of organic peanut butter yesterday, and I'm trying to come up with things to do with it. I'm not a big fan of peanut butter; I overloaded on it as a child. I don't dislike it, by any means. I'd certainly eat it if someone put it in front of me. But it's not something I buy, and peanut butter cookies aren't the ones I reach for on the cookie platter.

Still, this is wholesome free food. I'm not about to turn it down or let it go to waste. There's got to be a way for me to use it up and enjoy it at the same time. So I'm looking for something I can make with peanut butter that doesn't taste too...you know, peanut buttery. There's peanut noodles, and peanut soup, and there must be plenty of baking recipes for sweet treats that don't taste overwhelmingly of this stuff. (Chocolate must certainly be a big help in that department.) I'm just hoping my readers can point me to some good ones.

So...Got any tried and true recipes that use up peanut butter? Let me know in the comments!

3 comments:

BonzoGal said...

I make a sauce that goes on noodles or pork or chicken. It's a mix of soy sauce, peanut butter, vinegar, sesame oil, garlic and hot chilies. I don't have measurements because I change the balance a little each time, but I'd say about 2 Tbsp. soy sauce, 4 Tbsp. peanut butter, 1 Tbsp. each vinegar and sesame oil, and however much garlic and chili you like. It's great over poached chicken breast.

Kate said...

Thanks for the suggestion, bonzogal. I'm going to give this a try tonight with some garden vegetables and rice noodles. I've got some ancho chili powder too that might be nice.

I actually made myself a pb&j sandwich yesterday and enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Looking forward to experimenting with this ingredient that I haven't really explored up to now.

Kate said...

Bonzogal, I tried your recipe last night and it came out pretty well. I put in chard, cherry tomatoes, zucchini, and garlic, -all from our garden, along with some ancho chili powder, scallions and ginger. I would amp up the ginger and ancho powder next time. I may post about it. Thanks for the suggestion!