Thursday, September 17, 2009

Sewing Competency - First Baby Step


I spent far more time than I would have preferred yesterday tackling a very basic sewing project with the help of an experienced quilter and all around sewing perfectionist. I'm very pleased with the way my cloth gift wrap turned out. I think it's beautiful, and it's probably one out of the five wraps I have planned that I'm going to keep at home for our own gifting needs. Not least of all because it's probably going to be the most perfectly executed one.

The idea behind these gift wraps is that the fabric on one side, at least, is suitable for the holiday gift-giving season, while the other side is more suited for festivity in general, and thus appropriate for birthday gifts. I was talked into the purple color above as a Christmas color, because purple is associated with the Catholic season of Advent. I come from a Catholic background, so there is some relevance there. But also, I just like the color purple, and it picked up the accent color in the print fabric above. So each cloth gift wrap is essentially a perpetual replacement for paper gift wrap. Each of the wraps I plan to make uses two full yards of fabric, so I'll be able to wrap rather large gifts with each one. Getting the wrapped gifts to look neat and tidy is probably going to require some practice, or else some sturdy (and re-usable) wire-edged ribbon.

While I'm glad to be able to report some progress on my sewing competency goal for 2009, I can say with a high degree of certainty that this is never going to be a hobby I engage in for fun. That's just fine, I think. My goal was only to get to a point where I could say confidently, "yeah, I could do that;" provided of course that "that" meant a fairly uninvolved repair job, or a simple project designed to use up scrap fabric that would otherwise go for rags or into the trash (such as a colored bed sheet my husband spilled bleach on). An improvement in my ability to reduce household waste was all I was aiming for.

(Sorry for the washed out pictures: it's a rainy day so I had to use the flash.)

After the four-and-a-half-hour lesson, during which time we managed to complete just one extremely simple wrap, I now need to find the motivation to finish off the other four wraps that I purchased fabric for. I am somewhat hampered by not having, as my mentor does, a room set aside just for the purpose of sewing, as well as sundry tools designed to make the process easier. Given that I don't ever envision throwing myself wholeheartedly into things sewing, I'm pretty reluctant to spend money on such tools, useful though I know them to be. While there is satisfaction in having completed one small project, I don't enjoy the process of sewing enough to invest in more than just the basics.

Here are the fabrics that will go into the rest of the gift wraps I plan to make.

Check back with me before the holidays to see if I get these done!

14 comments:

Dede said...

I have no doubt that you will get them all finished. The one that is finished is beautiful! Nice work.

Sue said...

Very cool idea! I'm stealing it for our gift giving needs! LOL Sewing...sigh...I, too, am learning/teaching myself, but I am determined to save money, make things myself, and repurpose things....we make a lot of aprons, crochet hook/ colored pencil pouches, double flannel blankets as baby gifts, and crochet afghans for bridal showers...as well as slippers, scarves and hats....this year, I'd like to master mittens, too. 'Sew' much to say! Sorry for the long comment! I suppose you are getting ready for fall in Pennsylvania, too. God bless you and your family!

Sharon f said...

Looks great - and what a good idea (I for one am tired of spending so much money on wrapping that is ultimately destined for landfill). I wish you luck with your sewing journey. Believe it or not, sewing does become kind of addictive. You just need to chose projects that excite you and know that at until you are a little more experienced you might have to become good friends with the quick-unpick. In order to really enjoy it you do need a few basic tools though. Ask your sewing mentor to give you a list of some essentials to make your stitching life easier and keep a lookout for them at garage sales and op shops. You can pick up some very good quality tools at bargain basement prices that way :)

Kate said...

Dede, thanks. I wish I were as confident as you in the likelihood of me finishing all of them. I will try to make myself do it in the hopes that each one will take me less time than the previous one.

Sue, feel free to steal the idea. I stole it from Julie, of Towards Sustainability. As a money saving venture, you'd need to look at this as a very long term investment. The price for each of my wraps is going to average $10! Over the years, I'm sure it will eventually replace that much wrapping paper. The real value to me is in learning a new skill and avoiding the wasted paper. No worries about the length of your comment. I like 'em long!

Sharon, thanks. Finding sewing addictive admittedly seems like a stretch to me right now. I'll be happy if it becomes just another chore, rather than a hurdle to get over. This project is one that appeals to me. I think I just need to become practiced enough that I don't have to contemplate spending four and a half hours to make a single gift wrap! I will keep an eye out for sewing tools and fabric though.

Debbie said...

Gorgeous colours, just beautiful, you did a great job sewing. When you practice more you will get more confident and maybe even take on more complicated projects, remember baby steps. Good luck

Kate said...

Thanks, Debbie. I do hope it will become easier and that I will become more confident. I'll post updates of the remaining wraps as I finish them.

Eco Yogini said...

ohhhh, I really like this idea! I don't have a sewing machine... but perhaps this could be something I do by hand?? lol. very cool.

Kate said...

EY, certainly it could be done by hand by those with the patience for it. I would almost prefer to do it by hand. That way I wouldn't be wrestling with the expectation for it to look perfectly neat and machine made. Glad you like the idea.

Anonymous said...

Your wrap looks beautiful! I purchased Christmas-print cotton on clearance last year, to use single-ply on my kids' gifts, but I like your use of thinner fabrics. The problem I have with fabric wrapping is that people take the fabric as part of the gift. I've had to stop relatives from tossing it with the paper, or non-crafty, non-frugal ones, stuffing it away to be forgotten. How do you get the fabric back? I've been trying to come up with a cute 2 line rhyme...

Kate said...

Anon, I'm a fairly blunt type, so if I want the wrap back, I just say so up front: "You don't get to keep the wrapping." So far I've only used this wrap for a gift to my husband (which presents no problem) and one to a cousin (who got the short explanation). As I see it there are a few different approaches with these wraps:

1. Accept that the wrap is part of the gift and
A. accept that some people will value it while others will discard it (though explaining its reusable nature may encourage the former)

OR
B. only give gifts in such wraps to those who you know will appreciate and re-use the wrap.

2. Give gifts in these wraps only to immediate family members, thus keeping them in house.

3. Be blunt and simply collect the wraps after the gifts are opened.

Anonymous said...

I presented this problem to an online group I'm a part of, and someone came up with this, and said it was ok to share:

This cloth is meant for many friends. Kindly return or use again.

I thought that was rather nice, and plan to use it this year. I am happy to give the cloth away, complete with instructions on how to use it, if only it doesn't get tossed! I also keep an eye open at estate and yard sales for those nice square scarves for my mil and mom, as they enjoy wearing the wrapping :)

Kate said...

Anon, I think that's a very nice way to say what we'd like to say about the wraps. Far more charming than blunt old me. Thanks for sharing.

Sandra said...

These last few years I've purchased some nice dish towels or scarves or an apron or a wash cloth or a knitted hat to use as wrapping for my gifts. That way my friends receive two gifts in one. You could always try to make dish towels or cloths or a pretty scarf from scratch. You're already on your way with what you are doing now. The difference is they wouldn't get tossed with the holiday paper.
Best always, Sandra

Kate said...

Sandra, I like the tea towel idea. I like any wrapping idea that doesn't result in trash to throw away. I've made scarves before, but only by knitting.