Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Poultry Schooner in Action

After a decent interval, I'm running this as a cross-post here on my personal blog.  You may have already seen this over at the Simple, Green, Frugal Co-op where I post occasionally. If not, here's the skinny on what we're doing with the simple poultry tractor we made earlier this year.

Over the summer we built a highly mobile pen to house poultry with the help of our first WWOOF volunteer.  It was intended for the turkey poult we ended up with, without much planning.  When I designed what we now call the poultry schooner, it was with multiple uses in mind.  It wasn't to be just a place to keep our poult, but also a means of allowing our laying hens to to a great deal of our fall garden cleanup.  This spring we reorganized the garden so that all our beds are three feet wide.  The poultry schooner is exactly three feet wide.

This means that it fits neatly over the beds where we've been ripping out our tomato plants as the first frost approaches.  The growing turkey was moved to the pen normally occupied by the hens, and the hens were set to work under the schooner in the garden.  Scratching through soil, tearing small seedlings from the ground, and eating insects in every stage of development is what chickens want to do.  The poultry schooner facilitates them doing it to our benefit.

Not only do the hens perform the service of weeding the beds, but they also add their manure to the bed at the same time.  I wouldn't be keen to add manure to a bed in the spring, when I was about to plant my crops.  But now, in October, planting is at least five months away, and longer for most crops.  I can't refer you to any science on pathogens in chicken manure, nor their breakdown.  I know I have healthy living soils in the garden, and I trust the hugely diverse microbial populations there to process a light topping of raw manure by the time I'm ready to plant.  The hens only occupy any part of the garden for two days, so we're not talking about an excessive build up of raw manure.

On the first day the chickens decimate any weed seedlings, and work the top few inches of soil.  This light and superficial working of the soil would pass muster with living soil enthusiasts as no harm is done to the structure of the soil, mycelium or (many) earthworms.  The chickens also are eager and happy to help me with the work of breaking down half finished compost.  I don't turn my compost pile but once per year. This year about ten gallons of the stuff on the bottom of the pile was tossed in to the hens on their second day of occupation on each garden bed.  Their excitement with this material was abundantly clear. They showed more interest in the half-finished compost than in their morning grain ration.

The plan was to lasagna mulch over each bed as the chickens were moved on to the next newly cleared area.  But through procrastination, I discovered yet another benefit of using my hens in the schooner.  Just days after the hens were removed from a bed, a whole new crop of seedlings sprang up in the lovely, loose soil.  Of course most of them were weeds.  When I was finally ready to do the lasagna mulching, it occurred to me that I could make the hens happy, save myself some work, and deplete the store of weed seeds in my garden by placing the hens back on the beds they'd already worked for just an hour or two.  I was able to rotate the hens over four beds in the course of a day's work, and they cleared all of them of weed seedlings with chilling efficiency.

It seems to me that this technique could be used to great effect to combat the worst weeds.  Even if chickens have no interest in eating a particular plant in the seedling stage, their scratching will decimate the seedlings anyway.  The fact that four hens can clear a 30 square foot area of such seedlings in a matter of hours suggests that the process could be repeated several times in the weeks of waning sunlight in autumn.  Come springtime there would be far fewer seeds left near the surface capable of germination.  Add in a good lasagna mulching job, and the weed pressure is bound to be minimal.

I'm looking forward to spring 2011.

6 comments:

Jennifer Montero said...

I think the poultry schooner is a real winner! I'm so impressed with the design and concept. And it looks light enough to move by yourself.

I've just acquired a small polytunnel and I'm now tempted to put it into poultry production rather than plants, a la the schooner model (it's on skids).

My small veg patch is netted and I'll chuck a henhouse and hens in there over the winter to weed, de-bug, and manure it too.

Hazel said...

I do this, but in a more temporary fashion.
Most of my veg is grown on our allotment, on the other side of the village so our chickens can only be there whilst I am.
Last week they (or 3 of them at a time) came down twice to weed and de-slug one of the beds whilst I manured the rhubarb, next years potato patch and improvised a cold frame out of our old windows for a sowing of pac choi.
They are just contained with temporary netting- apart from the fact I am next to them, we don't have any air borne predators that would/could make off with a chicken.

Phoebe said...

I love the idea of letting the chickens at the compost pile! Im in the process of setting up a permanant coop at the moment but I think the Schooner or Chicken Tractor (as they are known in Australia) is a great additional method to get them out in the garden without risk for free ranging obliteration! Great idea!

Kate said...

Jennifer, I'm pretty happy with it too. It is light enough to move by myself if I have to. I prefer to have help though, particularly if I'm moving it more than a few yards. I think using poultry in rotation with garden crops is an idea worth playing with. I'm sure there is more to figure out on this topic. I'm thinking about planting any unused row of the garden next year with cover crops and allowing the hens to till it under for me from time to time. Hope the hens do good work for you in your veg patch.

Hazel, I love the image of you trundling down to an allotment with hens in tow. They must be rather well behaved chickens. I'm sure ours would do their level best to escape from an uncovered pen. Ours have become real escape artists!

Phoebe, thanks. I hope the idea works well for you if you try it out.

Anonymous said...

Love this design. My hubby threw one together for us quickly a couple years ago and made it out of 2X6's and it's way to heavy to move around even with wheels. I've been looking for something very lightweight. Think we'll make a couple of these.

Leah said...

Hope you're still using your schooner. I was wondering about the end with the bucket. Is there an opening or a door there? I would want to attach more sections in order to have an expandable section.